Let's Plan Your Trip
St. Augustine Beach - Beach Basics
- Vilano Beach: Separated from the rest by the inlet, this beach is a great skim-boarding destination as its shore is very steep.
- Anastasia State Recreation Area: The only beach where cars are banned. Also the only beach where pets are banned. You win some, you lose some!
- St. Augustine Beach: Very popular and quite commercial, you're in the middle of The Action. The beach is very rocky near the pier and swimming is not recommended due to strong waves. Good for surfing though!
- Crescent Beach: A great family beach with nice, soft sand.
- Summerhaven Beach: At the far south of Anastasia Island, this is a "little-known secret" of a beach, and also the widest on this stretch of coast.
PARKING, CARS AND ACCESS POINTS
- Free parking: at St. Augustine Beach and Crescent Beach - but you'll need to ar r ive ear ly to get a spot, especially in the summer.
- Avoiding cars on the beach: Head to Anastasia State Park (see page 58), or find a beach with particularly soft sand (such as Summerhaven towards the south of the island).
- Or - How to drive on the beach: to do so from March 1st through Labor Day you'll need a pass. Day passes are available, or choose a season pass if staying for more than a week (more details online). Take note of the sand conditions, you'd lose all cool points if your car gets stuck.
- Wheelchair access: Handicapped Beach Wheelchairs. These babies roll easily across the sand, and are available for free rental (including delivery!) courtesy of St. Johns County. To arrange, call St. Johns County Beach Services Department at (904) 209-0752. First come, first serve.